Random Blog Open to find out whatever you want to see: Review of Book "Interpreter of maladies"
Google
 

Saturday, May 05, 2007

Review of Book "Interpreter of maladies"




The stories of immigrants are what Jhumpa Lahiri has presented to us in her compilation of short stories, “Interpreter of Maladies”. Originating from India and its subcontinent and lasting in continents of west is highlight of her writing. The conflicting cultures, lost relations, effluent in home away from away and other challenges faced are what we see in this book. Being an immigrant herself, the pains and gains of their life are not alien to her, thus well presented by the author.
The ups and downs of housewives, the generation gap, the fatal attractions and much better interpreted.
The nine story book is sewn together with story of an American born Indian couple offering condolences to each other every night and dealing with loss of their unborn child. Another story set in 1960s when East Pakistan was at unrest to form a new state as Bangladesh, a resident on work in USA experiences and dilemmas of its family in region of tension and war. Narrated by a small girl, one can experience the insecurity of Mr Pirazada, while eating his meals each day he faces for his welfare of daughters in their homeland. Then comes a story of American born Indian family on holiday in India for first time. The tour guide is stunned by revelation by the lady of house, an astonishing secret which cannot be let out. An old Bengali woman safeguards a building while speaking of her past fortune she left on other side of border. The complicated and controversial affair between a Bengali married man and American is what we read in another chapter. Also, Story of a newly wed Bengali woman coping up with her loneliness in America by child sitting job is what we read. An Indian bred husband trying to adjust with norms of his American bred wife and a Bibi Haldar longing to marry, but her illness came in way. The last story traverses three continents through life of an Indian who travels from India to London to Boston.
The stories may not be page ripping or page turner, but they give sense of elation on read. The couplets may feel as read and heard, but the author has given fresh look to the stories. The grammatical exploration f relationships make this book pleasant read. The deeper hidden meaning to stories is what Jhumpa Lahiri famous for. The book with its flow is definitely must read for all book lovers. The page by page, life and relationships are unveiled by Jhumpa in this one. So just by one copy and give it read.
Rating***1/2


Rating Chart
*- Don’t even look at Cover
** Read it only if you desire, otherwise don spend on it
*** Good Buy and better read
**** Splendid for your collection
*****- Must read and buy Dare you miss it



26 comments:

Cyberkitty said...

interesting review, i think i'll borrow the book from one of my friends.

Impressionist said...

i dont usually read books!
this one looks interestin tho!

peace & love
JeeVY

Ashu & Sumath said...

pretty intresting bro...


i think i hav read the book tho!!!

Aditi said...

I too don't get much time to read books.. but this seems to be interesting one..

Nabila Zehra Zaidi said...

well analysed!! will try and read it soon... :)

Winged Fantasy said...

I read the book long back, about an year ago I think, so don't really remember the details. But yeah it was too depressing for me. The kind of feeling you get after reading something like "God of small things" or "Anne Franc's diary"...
I read about 4-5 stories and then gave up. But I loved the title story "The interpreter of maladies". Definitely worth a read. And Good review. :-)
Cheers!

J A D E D......... said...

Hey....
Firstly thanks a million for stopping by my blog...
Not many people do nowadays as me been a lil absent recently from bloggers land....
Reasons not excuses for this uncalled for absence are
1>My comp was conked for more than 6 months
2>Me neck deep in projects vivas preacticals n final exams till the end of June so...
But i promise i'll be back after my examz are done...
N i sure will keep in touch with u...
Till den ciao...
N yeah loved The Interpreter of Maladies too....
Liked Jhumpa's Namesake...
Watched it didnt get a chance to read the book...
Nwz then adios till later.......

Phoenix said...

hey this was one great book..now it graces my mantelpiece...:P

AVIANA said...

Hey,

thanks for stopping by today! thanks for the review...i imagine that the clashing of cultures will continue as the world becomes more and more globalized (if that's a word). more and more people are marrying outside of their culture, more and more people are traveling and living around the world....

my parents are immigrants to the united states and i know that went through a major culture shock when they came here..they have adjusted...there was and are still alot of misunderstandings between myself and my parents because i am american born and raised...and they understand that more than likely i will be with someone who is not from their culture.....

it is difficult.....

lisa

Keshi said...

Eversince blogging I dun read blooks much.

Keshi.

Sujoy Bhattacharjee said...

Rating a book is a capital sin. The same book that you like may not go down well with others.
I stopped reading reviews of books(or movies for that matter) which give stars or asterisks at the end. Get an idea of what the book is all about, if you like it then buy it and to hell with the stars.

Princess Banter said...

These are awesome books... how do you pick out which ones you want to review? Though I like judging a book myself... I'd still love to know what other people think about it.

AakASH!!! said...

You actually do cover a lot of random stuff. Nice to read. =)

And i agree with what you have written about the book. The stories are so much out of life, that every tale is another relation born.

Priyanka Sarkar said...

well written review
personally i loved this one too....completely identifiable and very thoughtful!!

AVIANA said...

Hey thanks for stopping by today!
I appreciate your vote!! Seriously!

Bye!

Lisa

Lotus Reads said...

Enjoyed your review very much! I read the author's other book "The Namesake" and enjoyed it immensely. I had "Interpreter of Maladies" sitting on my shelf for the longest time, infact, one time I took it down and read the disquieting first story, but shortly after that someone asked to borrow it and I sent it on its way. Perhaps it's time for me to buy myself another copy. I am particularly interested in the story with the formation of Bangladesh as the backdrop.

I used to know a Dr. Dedhia in Bombay a long time ago, but he is an eye surgeon.

Keshi said...

I mean dun read BOOKS..but I do read BLOOKS :)

Keshi.

Sharad Mathur said...

im not a book addict,
but this one looks worth a read!

sharad

Anonymous said...

hii,
I do have this book...I liked it..bought another of her book aftr that..The Namesake..

Radha said...

Hi, its my first time on your blog & I really liked it.
I had read 'Interpreter of Maladies' a while ago & i dont remember all the stories, but I do remember enjoying it a lot, Jhumpa writes very well. So your review brought it back to me :)

Satwik said...

nice job!

Astraeus said...

i loved Interpreter too...
Other than the title story i loved "Sexy" and i forget the name but the one about the sweeper lady

N@nc! said...

i like to read but its only sometimes it depends of my mood...!!
thanks for the sugestion!!!

Anonymous said...

sounds interesting...just by reading of what you've written about this book...great job! ;;)

diyadear said...

hey,
had heard of this book but not read any review.. now thanks to u, seems like i must read it :)

Jyoti said...

Hi
Thanks so much
Wishing you the same.
I am really happy that you like my blog.
Cheers to taurean :)